Wednesday, November 9, 2016

I'm Heartbroken

I feel so naïve to have ever thought George W. Bush was the worst thing to happen to us. A large percentage of Americans have voted for anarchy and I'm shocked.
There had better be a team of people ready to Weekend at Bernie's Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
I feel the need to go to synagogue and the gun store.
Now that they got what they wanted, will angry white men stop shooting everyone?
Next up will be a global recession and an incredible legislative backlash for all of our national and international progress. Ugh, I just bought a house.
NATO has 300,000 troops on "high alert" over tensions with Russia. Did you know that? NATO is that organization we're a part of that Donald Trump says other countries need to "pay more for" because we pick up too much of the tab.
It's not just healthcare, freedom to marry, civil justice and basic civility to worry about.
But it's important to stay a part of things. For the past almost two years, my husband and I have gone on the first and third Saturday of each month to prep, serve and clean up a lunch/brunch meal at a soup kitchen. I spent six months creating a free/volunteer run writing workshop at my local VA hospital. I volunteered to be a children's librarian at an under-performing public school in West Philadelphia for a school year while living there. I make charitable contributions when I can to worthy causes. I pick trash up off the ground that I didn't throw there. I always vote. I don't begrudge anyone anything that they have that I don't have. I serve my country in as many ways as I can--and you should, too.
I left America after Bush W. started wars. I experienced the world and often was held to account by people I met for that dude and all of his weird scandals like millions of missing emails, torture, and false claims of weapons of mass destruction. Well, we've just elected a weapon of mass destruction and I'm not leaving. I moved back to the United States during the 2008 election, voted Democrat (and not Green) for the first time in my life, and cried watching Barack Obama's first inauguration while living in South Central Los Angeles and working at a torture treatment center for asylum-seekers. I was so proud of my country and what seemed possible here.
As many of you readers who know me are aware - I'm not really even a very good person, yet I still manage service to others. I don't like anyone, but I care very much about their wellbeing and I always have. I'm incredibly angry - but I'm often incredibly angry at things I don't agree with, so I know how to deal.
Financial tip: Don't sell your old gold jewelry to Good Ole' Tom, hang onto it so you have something to barter with besides your daughters when civilization falls apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment